Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Things That Help

Well, we've been on a little kick to make things a bit healthier in our home. We finally got new furniture. Our old set was so comfortable, but was the kind of material that soaks in dust and grime like a sponge does water, and that just won't due. Plus, it was old, and we were ready for a change. So we found a nice microfiber sofa/love seat/chair and ottoman set that we really love. I think the microfiber will be easier to keep the dust from collecting in. And this furniture is very comfortable. Plus, bonus feature, we got a sleeper sofa so I now have a place for my older daughters to sleep when they visit. Well, and my brother and sis-in-law too.

The other thing we're doing this week is changing out the living room carpet for Pergo. Our carpet is seven years old and looks like it's 15 years old. It wasn't the kind of carpet meant for the traffic of over 200 kiddos. (Of course, when we chose it I didn't know I was going to have so many kids, or kids at all for that matter.) We've already put Pergo in the hall and boys' room, and we love it. Again, it will be something that will not grab onto dust and hold it in for years and years.

Why my obsession with dust? Normally, I'd say whatever, but I now have kiddos with high allergies and asthma. The flooring in the boys' room has made a difference for them. I think it will really help having it in the living room as well. The girls already have wood flooring. My hope is that it will help us keep the environment cleaner not just for the kids, but also for my mom. Next I want to get her floor done in her room cuz right now hers is horrible, and I think it'd be easier to keep her somewhat healthy if we got rid of her carpet. Her room and my room will be the only ones in the house left with carpet. Our goal is to be carpet free. Once we reach that goal, then we'll also change out the tile in the kitchen for the Pergo, and last we'll change out the parquet in the girls' room for Pergo so eventually the whole house will have it except the bathrooms and laundry room.

That reminds me, I really need to change the filters on the furnace tonight.

Thanks for reading.

2 comments:

Angel The Alien said...

Ugh, allergies and asthma are the worst! ( I have it too!) Hard floors do help a lot. The thing that always kills me is mold in the walls. My mom's walls have all sorts of mold behind them, and I am constantly sick! :(

Marshamlow said...

You have been so busy. What a lot of work. I love those shows on tv, like Trading Spaces & Flip this House, where they go in and do all that stuff.

My oldest daughter had a bad allergic reaction to paperback books, it seems that they collect a lot of dust and having a shelf of books in her room caused her to cough all night for over a year. When we moved was how we figured it out that it was the books.