Wednesday, December 13, 2006

I'm Crying Because I'm Happy

Are you for Real?

OK, you see it in movies, and maybe I've seen one or two people in my life cry because they were happy, but you have to hear this. Last night was Cindy's school Christmas program. I had to work, so poor Granny had to take all the kids by herself. She asked Annie to be a big girl and be a help with all the little kids, and auto response Annie said her usual, "OK." But while they were there, she was fidgety, she was loud, she was whiny, she took off running in the lobby. She was actually the worst one of the bunch for my mom last night. When they got home, instead of getting ready for bed and minding, she stood in the middle of her room and nagged at each of the other girls as the came in. Then, 5-year-old made a face and "nah-nah-nah" at her and she started screaming. Yes, screaming, no exaggeration. This get so hard to take some times!

So I'm in there, having another calm-voiced, one-sided conversation about why are we doing this again. I tell her, "5-year-old doesn't care about any of us, she's only here a short while, and you know this, but you take it so personally when she does this. Yet, we are your family and love you more than anyone else could and you give us nothing but grief. In a few weeks you'll be 8, but tonight you acted out worse than the 2, 3, 4, & 5 year olds. What's going on, why can't we improve the behaviour instead of it always being the same?" (Word of a frustrated, ready to tear her hair out mom.) Annie starts crying. "Why are you crying? You're not even in trouble, I just want to know why the behaviour never changes." "I"m happy! I'm crying because I'm happy." I was floored. What do I do with that? She said it always made her so happy to hear me say how much I love her. Somebody help me, I don't get it. I said, if you're so happy that we love you so much, why can't you give some of it back by having better behaviour? Shoulder shrug...typical. Somebody tell me again why I chose to parent kids with problems, sometimes I just need to hear that I'm doing the right thing here.

Moving on...I told you we would get another one before Christmas. You notice above I made mention of a 4 year old. She came to us last week. She's so cute and sweet, and needs so much. She's the same size as 3-year-old. You can't understand a word she says. She's mostly potty trained, but not entirely. I think I already love her. I need to call the school district and get her and 5-year-old evaluated, see if they qualify for the special pre-school cuz neither of them will be ready for kindergarten next year, and they are both supposed to be starting.

OK, time for the spiel...give of your heart, give to the Giving Tree to help give foster children a wonderful Christmas! We really need your help!! Thank you for your support!

No comments: