Thursday, December 14, 2006

What's the Worst thing about Doing Foster Care?

If Someone Asked, I'd Have to Say...

The thing is, there are things that get to you, wear you down, burn you out, but if you're doing it for the right reasons, there's not a whole lot I'd say I DON'T like about doing foster care. But there is one thing that, if I didn't have to deal with it, all the rest would be a party. You're wondering what that one thing is that is so awful? One of the social workers I used to work pretty closely with called it Livestock. That's a good word, because just the mention of it doesn't make you itch. Have you figured it out yet? LICE...Head Lice. It is by far the absolute worst part of doing foster care!!!!!!

I'm sure part of my problem is that I already have a real phobia about creepy crawlies, moths, even lady bugs. Butterflies are only beautiful from afar for me. Even birds are a little creepy to me. So the very thought of tiny little ickies all over your head just about make me vomit. We don't get it too often, but often enough that it's got me squirming. And it's near impossible to get rid of. The summer Annie was three, her birth mom finally decided to show up at some of the visits. The first time she did, she brought a brush from home and played with Annie's hair. All of a sudden Annie had lice. We spent the whole summer fighting it. Every time we'd just about get it under control, birth mom would bring in the brush again. We begged the case manager not to let her keep doing this, but it took several visits, like 3 months worth, to convince the case manager that that was where the Livestock was coming from. In the meantime, several other members in my house had to be treated...including ME!

EWWWWWWWWWW!!!!

Never in my life had I ever had livestock in my hair. Never in my life had I ever known anyone who had. It was disgusting. I wanted to shave my head!! Just the thought makes me itch. Since then we've only had two others come in with it. One was a little three year old girl we had for about six months a few years ago, and the other is the five year old we have now. Actually, this one didn't come in with it, she picked it up from her visit. That's the worst kind cuz even when you get rid of it finally, they just get it again the next time they see the family. I want to shave her head so we don't have the mess any more.

OK, writing about this is making me itch. If any of you know any good remedies for this that I haven't tried, let me know, please!! We've used NIX, RID, mayonnaise, olive oil, tea tree oil...I'd use Pennzoil if I thought it would help!!

Well, that was a nice holiday topic. Sorry, it's just on my mind. Hope I didn't creep you out as much as I creeped myself out. Now think of candy canes and gingerbread, and how you could help poor foster children have happy Christmas memories too...
Time for the spiel...give of your heart, give to the Giving Tree to help give foster children a wonderful Christmas! We really need your help!! Thank you for your support!


No comments: