Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Politically Correct Gone Too Far...

What Kind of Rice????

OK, I have to tell you this story. I was lying on the sofa last week recovering from surgery (none too well) and listening to the dinner conversation going on in the next room. I hadn't laughed much all week because I'd been pretty sick. (I had some complications after surgery.) The family was having lasagna (2-year-old's favorite, he could eat his weight in it!) and 17-year-old said, "Granny, you know what sounds good?" "What?" "Mexican lasagna." This is a little dish my mom sort of made up one night when we were trying to think of something to eat, inexpensive, but different...and NOT hot dogs and mac & cheese! It's kind of just a flat taco casserole, but using flour tortillas rather than corn. But it's pretty good, and the kids love it. So I was sitting there, thinking, ya, that might be good in a few days when I'm more on the mend.

Then Cindy pipes in. Now, I have to tell you, she sometimes says very odd things, inappropriate things, things out of the blue that don't pertain...but this time it was just funny! She said, "YA, and some HISPANIC rice." I couldn't help it, I just started laughing, then she said, "well, and some English rice too." I could hear my mom trying not to laugh at her, but Annie lost it. My mom finally said, "You mean Spanish rice and white rice?" Poor Cindy, she was only trying to be racially sensitive. You gotta love 10-year-olds!



So anyway, I got a staph infection after my surgery, so I spent most of last week still down rather than building myself back up to be ready for work this week. My first day back was surprisingly exhausting, but today was better. Luckily, I only work this week and next, and then we are closed fora week and a half. (Plus, I work Monday through Thursday, so I still get my 3-day weekends each week til then!) I should be doing fine by the holidays when everyone is here.



OH GUESS WHAT!!!!!



We heard from Kneesaa last night, and they are moving back to Idaho!! I'm so happy, and now I can watch my grandson grow up! I guess both Kneesaa and her husband finally figured out that they are unhappy on the East Coast and will be moving back in February! I'm so glad. It's hard to be a controlling mother and doting Ya Ya (Greek for grandma) when the people you want to control and dote on live thousands of miles away!! :-) Besides, I'm just not comfortable having the people I love so much live so far away. And this is all about me you know!!



OK, I'll leave you now. Remember, the foster kids are counting on your donations to give them a wonderful Christmas! Donate to my site today and all the money will go to the Giving Tree!!

No comments: