Thursday, June 14, 2007

I'm Honored

I work weird hours, so on Mondays and Tuesdays I don't get home until around 7:30, but I have Fridays off. This should be an advantage for special celebrations and functions which always used to be on Friday or Saturday. But in the last year I've noticed these events being held more on Monday and Tuesday. That doesn't work for me.

So this Tuesday they held the annal Foster Parent Appreciation Picnic at the zoo. It was a huge event with free admission, rides for the kids, and catered dinner. We didn't get to go because of my work schedule.

We had a phone call on Monday asking if we were going to be there because we were getting an award. Granny told them it wasn't going to be possible for us to go. They were disappointed, but understood. I figured they were giving out silly awards to everyone as they often do at these events, so I wasn't real upset about it.

Yesterday one of the social workers brought over the awards we were supposed to receive at the picnic, and they weren't silly certificates. These were very nice, printed awards framed in heavy, expensive frames. Only six awards were given, and we actually received two of them. It made me feel bad that we had not attended. All the social workers in our region voted on who should receive these awards. We were told there was quite a bit of applause when our names were read as the recipients of these awards. I'm quite honored by this. It wasn't something I really expected. I guess I don't really do this for glory, and so I don't consider that I might ever receive something like this. At the same time, I'm excited and grateful at the knowledge of having all the respect and support of our social workers that comes with awards like these.

All I can say is THANK YOUto all who recognized us for this! I'll say it again, I'm honored!

1 comment:

Angel The Alien said...

Wow, congratulations! You should hang it up for all to see!