Tuesday, June 26, 2007

So Much for that Idea!!

Respite kind of got cut short....




It started out nice. I got all the kids off to their respective respite homes, and spent some quality time with my good friends who were taking my two year old. Will and Annie got to play and eat dinner with their kids, and I got to have adult conversation with someone I don't live with. It was nice. That was Friday night.




Saturday was great! We got up in the morning and went to breakfast. Annie, Will and I went to the church to meet with our pastor. He walked the kids through the ceremony that will be happening in a few weeks to baptize both of them. Then he had same great kids books about it for them, and we all read one together. Will wanted him to play his keyboard and sing a song, so he did. Then Will wanted him to play his guitar and sing a song, so he did. (There is something about my son that makes anyone do just about anything he asks them to do. It's kind of scary some times.) Then we went home. On the way we stopped and they got hot dogs for lunch. At home we waited for grandpa to get there and eat his lunch, then we left. I had the whole day planned. I took them to the YMCA to swim and play, and they were having a great time. Suddenly, Kristy showed up. The family she was in respite with had brought the kids. I was fine with it until Annie came out crying and upset because Kristy was being mean, dunking her under the water and saying mean things. It was time for us to leave anyway, so we did. Next we went to see Shrek the Third. (Will is a Shrek fanatic!) They loved going to the big theatre (we usually go to the dollar theatre or just rent.) They had popcorn and sat next to grandpa and laughed. We had a real good time. Finally I took them to dinner at one of Annie's favorite Mexican restaurants. I got them home and in bed happy as little larks.




On Sunday we slept in a little. Yes, we skipped church. It was nice to sleep, and I discovered that when Kristy isn't there, Annie will actually sleep until about 8:00 or so. Finally, some rest for the weary. Granny was happy because she'd been able to spend all day Saturday doing nothing, getting lots of rest. Will got her up at 7:30 Sunday, but it's better than 6:00!! We went to breakfast again, and planned a nice little BBQ dinner for that evening before we picked up the others. Then we went and all got our hair cut. That was kind of fun too, and spontaneous! Then we got the first call. Kristy had to come home. She'd decided to get up early and try to cook with the family's expensive pans, and burn them and fill their house with smoke. She'd been a lot for them to handle, but this was the last straw. I was quite irritated. I went and got her, and when I got home found out that the 7 year-old had to be picked up too. The minute Kristy got home, all our wonderful calmness and happy-go-lucky fun with Annie ended. She immediately got an attitude and started ignoring Will. I couldn't believe the change in her personality just from having one child come home. Of course, Kristy was mad at the world, and was defiant and insolent the rest of the day. (Who ever thought I'd use a word like insolent?) When the 7 year old (does he have a name on here yet? I'll call him Karl) got home, Will started getting bossy and grouchy. Granny started getting upset with everyone over every little thing. I wanted to go crawl in my bed and hide from them all. After dinner, my 2 year old, Andrew, came home, and then I went to get Cindy.




So our respite was cut short by several hours, and when they all came home, it was like they'd never left. I guess I'd had this pipe dream that they'd all spend some time out of the house, having fun and relaxing, and come home refreshed and happy. Silly me!! I should have known better, I've done this before. But it's like the lottery, you know your chances of winning are always more than slim, but every time you buy a ticket you have great hope and start dreaming of what you'll do with the money.




But never fear, the four oldest are leaving for camp this weekend, so I won't have to listen to them bicker for too long.




Thanks for reading!!

2 comments:

Angel The Alien said...

That sounds like a lot of chaos!But at least you got to spend a lot of great quality time with Annie and Will!

Anonymous said...

Wow! I don't know how you do it all! I hope you had a goodly weekend though and that things settled down a bit. I've given you an award if you have a moment. It is here: http://tinyurl.com/3x6ncu I think you've got a great blog! :)